Saturday, October 15, 2016

The Story of Ruth


            The Story of Ruth

 

                Chapter 1    

     "Ruth did you get the water for today," my mother asked, one spring morning.
     "I was just going to get it, Mother," I replied, putting my headdress on to cover my thick brown hair.
      As I picked the large clay jar, my mother came to me and said, "Be quick, for Elimelek, an Ephrathite from Bethlehem in Judah is coming to claim either you or your sister, Hannah, to become his son, Mahlon's wife." Then, she went inside to make preparations for their arrival.
      As I walked two furlongs to the well, I tried to ignore what my mother had said and instead started to think about what my surroundings were.
 While I was walking down the pathway that led to the road, I walked past our small flower garden. The cyclamen was blooming as were the lilies. The cherry trees that were on the edge of our orchard were starting to blossom. I could smell its sweet fragrance from where I stood. I continued to walk down the road. The fields of grapes that our neighbors owned were already growing leaves, and all of the broad-petal lilies were perfuming the air.
      As I passed the half way mark my mind started to stray to what my mother was saying earlier. What kind of a man would try and choose between two of us? I had always been told that the father of the man would come, pick the girl of his choosing and leave with her the next day. Then the two would be married according to his tradition. Why would a man even come from me when my sister is so much better? Hannah would make a much better wife and mother anyway.
      The bray of a donkey snaps me out of my thoughts. A caravan of donkeys was at the well, along with several servants.
      When I went to fill the jar I had with water, there were two men among the group. The elder man had a long graying beard and the young man stood dark and handsome. They were discussing something in hushed whispers in the middle of the trail of donkeys and servants.      The younger of the two looked up at me with his hazel eyes as I walked up to the well. He nodded then returned to his conversation.
      I dropped the wooden bucket down into the stone well to retrieve water, but as I was bringing it up, the edge of the bucket got stuck on walls of the well. I was trying to pull the edge free, the young man came beside me and helped me pull it free and up. Only after I had finished filling up my jar, did the man go back to talking to the elder man.  However, as I started walking away back up the road, the young man called to me.
      "Maiden, I am sorry to be disturbing you but do happen to know where the home of Menon is?"
      I nearly choked. Menon?!? That was my father! These were the men that were coming to choose between my sister and me. I answered as slowly and humbly as I could.
      "The house of which you speak is where I am headed." I nodded in the direction of where I was going. "Just follow me, my lord."
      The man smiled. "Thank you, my father and I were quite lost and still would be without your help." Then he turned towards the elder man calling for him to follow me.
      As we walked back to my home, I noticed the aging woman and another young man, who must be the younger brother. The younger brother had hair the color of the sand on the dunes outside of my village. The elder woman had gray hair with some white highlights.
      As we were walking up the path that led to my house, you could hear the hustle and bustle of preparation.
      "Sounds like something is going on in there." the elder man said in an entertained voice.
      I nodded then changed the subject. "Wait here, I will go and get the man of whom you ask." 
     With that, I walked into the back door and set the clay jar down in the kitchen.
 When I went to find my father, I found him sitting in the front room just staring off into the distance in deep thought. I felt bad for having to break his silence, but it had to be done.
      "Father?"
      "Yes, my dear." He said, his attention now on me.
      "There are some men here to see you."
      Instantly, he got up and patted my shoulder saying,
      "Thank you, Ruth. Now go get ready before your sister sees you."
      Totally forgetting about getting dressed I rushed off to the girls' room to get ready. Hoping Hannah wouldn't see me, I slipped quietly behind her, but she heard me and turned around swiftly.
      "Ruth! Don't you know the men could be here at any moment?" Not waiting for an answer, she hastily turned around saying with the wave of her hand, "Go and get ready."
Just then my mother came in to finish my sister's hair and darken her eyes.
      "Ruth, please go get ready."
      I just love my mother, she is so sweet and understanding.
     As I walked to the room I shared with my sisters, I peeked out of a window to see that my father was looking at all the things that were spread on the ground.
      He was selecting fabrics, seeds, and donkeys and putting them in a separate area. I was so focused on my father; I did not notice that young man was watching me. When I did notice, I found that he was smiling at me, chuckling even. I nodded to him and went into my room.
      While I was getting ready, my thoughts turned to all of the "what if's" in my brain. What if he picks me? Will I ever see my parents again? Will I ever see my friends again? My thoughts were interrupted when Zuffa, my younger sister, stormed into the room.
      "Lucky!" she said between huffs and puffs. "You haven't been cooking and cleaning all day. Hannah has been being a persnickety wretch about everything and she wouldn't stop trying on different clothing. Where have you been this entire time anyway?" she said, sitting down.
     "I had to get water from the well," I said, putting on my best tunic. "When I saw a small procession of donkeys and servants. They were coming here but they were lost. So, I had to lead them here."
     Zuffa started to laugh. "Hannah is going to be so mad."
     "Why?"
     "She wanted to be the first to meet Mahlon."
     At this, I started to laugh as well. Knowing my sister, she would probably rant about it to me later. Just then, Mother came in to see what progress had been made.
     "At least you're dressed." She said, somewhat annoyed. I'm assuming that it is partly because of me being late and partly because of Hannah's pickiness earlier.
      Mother was soon busy pulling my hair into something strange and unique, almost like something an Egyptian would wear. Zuffa decided to stay and watch my mother prepare me. My mother then fussed with my eyes trying to make them look majestic and doused me with perfume made of lily and roses. When she had finished, I went and looked in the mirror and I had to admit, I looked quite lovely.
     "Hurry dear, they are waiting in the living room!" my mother said, ushering me into the living room.
     As I stepped into the room, I sensed everyone looking at me, and probably wondering what had taken so long. As I looked around to see who was in the room, I saw that it was only the young man and his parents. I later found out that their names were Elimelek and Naomi. As I sat down, Hannah elbowed me as if to say, "What took you so long?" I rolled my eyes in her direction, then turned my attention back to the visitors.
     There was silence in the room except for whispers from the men and cold stares coming from Naomi, for about half-an-hour.
Then when my mother entered for the second time my father bade everyone into the eating room.
     "Miriam, will you please serve our guests?" my father asked of my mother.
     "Of course, my dear." My mother answered as she made her way back into the kitchen. She left the room only a moment before she was back again with our maidservant with our finest lamb and our best fruits and vegetables prepared especially for the occasion.
     After the meal, it seemed the dark-eyed Mahlon had made his decision but was going to leave us hanging until the last moment. Then, my father asked Hannah and I to present some of the weaving we had done in the past weeks.  I love to weave but was no one who was creative and artsy. However, I was very efficient, my mother had told me so several times. Where Hannah was creative I was swift. Hannah liked weaving designs more than making every day cloth so we did what we like best and made beautiful clothes in the result.
      Then, we were asked to prepare an appetizing snack for everyone, even though we had eaten an hour beforehand. Of all the things for me to present it is not my cooking skills. Hannah can make amazing food and make it look good. I can make it taste good but a good presentation is not one of my strong spots. I know Hannah did so much better than I did, even though we were both told we did well. I don't like the false affirmation. It bugs me.
     Finally, we were told to sit and just relax while the deal was sealed. So, our lives are being planned behind our backs and we just need to sit and relax. Yeah right! Neither of us could relax. We sat but were very tense in having to wait around for 100 years! Ok, in reality, it was about ten minutes.
     After waiting about two minutes, Hannah started a very quiet conversation.
      "Who do you think he picked? Oh, I am so nervous."
       She was nervous, but a different kind of nervous. She wasn't, the suspense is killing me I want to know! But more like, I don't want to know and I don't want to leave. She had talked about not wanting to get married yet but I didn't think it was this bad. I mean she prepped and preened herself all day.
      "Well, aren't you?" my sister insisted.
      "Yes, but Hannah," I started. "He is obviously going to pick you. I'm not even sixteen."
      She gave me the, ‘I don't think so' look.
      "Do you really think so?" she responded. "I don't even want to get married. The very thought brings butterflies to my stomach."
      I was surprised she didn't want to get married, especially because of all the fuss she made with her makeup and appearance.
      "Don't be nervous Hannah, you w-."
     I couldn't finish, for my father and our guests walked back in the room. As my father started with an announcement, I was starting to feel sick to my stomach. I was scared that I wouldn't be picked, yet I originally didn't want to be picked anyway. My brain is tricking me to think all sorts of things.
      "Girls," Father said, his large blue eyes twinkling with happiness. "Mahlon has come to a decision as to whom he will be taking home as his bride at noontime tomorrow."
      Hannah reached for my hand and I squeezed it------hard.
  

2 comments:

Allis Mac said...

Here is the first chapter of many, if you think there is something I could add, let me know and I may take your advice.
I hope you enjoy!!!!

Chloe Corey said...

Nice